top of page
Edmonton Car Accident Injury Treatment

Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries

Have you been in a collision and sustained injuries as a result?  Have you been told you should see a physiotherapist or are looking for help reducing the pain and getting back to what matters most to you? We can help!

How does it work? 

In Alberta, people who have been injured in automobile collisions have immediate access to treatment for their injuries. You may access the clinic of your choice with or without seeing your doctor first. Your insurance company will require that you fill out an AB-1 form which you can find here, directly from your insurance company, or from the Government of Alberta website:


This form should be sent to your insurance company within ten days of the accident. Once you have submitted this form you will have access to up to 21 treatments depending on the diagnosis over a period of 90 days following the date of injury. 


Your healthcare provider (Physical Therapist, Doctor, Chiropractor) will then fill out an AB-2 form that outlines the treatment plan and will send this to your insurance company once an assessment has been completed. It is important to note that during this time all treatments from different providers are combined to make up the 21 treatments for example: if you had four massage treatments during this time, you would then have 17 potential treatments from physio etc. 


When these treatments have been completed, the 90 days has expired, or you have recovered and no longer need treatment; your Physiotherapist will submit an AB-4 form to your insurer summarizing your treatment and the outcome.  Should you not be finished with treatment, the AB-4 will outline the plan for ongoing treatment to the insurer. If you have extended health benefits at this time such as Blue Cross, Sunlife, Manulife, Greensheild, etc. your treatments will be submitted to these providers as now the motor vehicle insurer is the second payer until there is no other coverage available. You are still covered, how it works changes.

Is this for all types of injuries from a car accident?

Not all injuries are treated under these protocols. Injuries such as:

Fractures, Dislocations, and Neurological / Nerve injuries are treated separately and as such are not subject to the 90 day/21 treatment guidelines. An AB-1 still must be filled out and your Physiotherapist will fill out an AB-2. Where your injury falls will be determined at your assessment and how your coverage works may change. We can help you with all of your questions at this time.

Do I have to get my treatment from a clinic on the list provided by my insurance company?

The answer here is NO. Many insurance companies have entered into agreements with clinics to be “preferred providers” for the company. YOU DO NOT have to go there. We have chosen to not enter into any such agreements because we feel we are better able to treat you with YOUR interests in mind first and foremost. We are here to treat your injuries the best way we know how, guided by your goals and our expertise, using the techniques and approaches that have been shown to provide the best results for all involved. This includes being accountable to those paying for treatment. 

What kind of treatment can I expect?

This depends on the stage of recovery that you are at. In the initial stages we will utilize modalities that encourage tissue healing and recovery such as ultrasound, manual therapy, needling techniques, pain relieving modalities and gentle exercise. 


As your condition improves you can expect to do more exercise in the clinic and follow this up at home or in the gym. We will still use techniques to improve mobility and pain as well, but strengthening and stabilizing your injured area becomes more of a focus so that you not only get better but stay feeling better for the long run.

How do I get started?

Call us at 780-438-0001 and we will help you through all the steps needed to get you going on your road to recovery as soon as possible.

bottom of page